In this episode, we are joined by Marc Scancarello who is the director of materials engineering at Emerson. Today’s discussion is all based on new refrigerants and new codes. We answer the question, what is ASHRAE 34 and 15, and walk through the new standards as well. We also discuss how the adoption of new codes and standards can vary from state to state and how it can affect one’s business.
Host: Lindsay Headings, Digital Marketing and Content Manager, Emerson
Co-Host: Jennifer Butsch, Regulatory Affairs Manager, Emerson
Guest: Marc Scancarello, Director of Materials Engineering, Emerson
- 0:09 – Welcome
- 0:55 – Who is Marc Scancarello
- 2:25 – How is the new refrigerant transition different than the transition between R-22 and R-410A
- 4:05 – What should I know about these new refrigerants? (Last episode’s question of the week)
- 4:46 – What is ASHRAE 34?
- The ASHRAE public review webpage can be accessed here where you can explore the most recent proposed revisions to ASHRAE standards and submit comments as appropriate – https://osr.ashrae.org/default.aspx
- 10:27 – How does ASHRAE 15 evaluate/adopt new flammable refrigerants?
- 13:56 – How does the new standard and safety measure affect contractors and manufacturers
- 14:10 – Adoption of new codes history
- 15:23 – How long does the adoption of new codes take?
- 16:43 – New question of the week
Marc Scancerello’s “Give Me a Wrench” Ted Talk – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aNN-QS1H4E
Previous Episode: “State by State” – the U.S. Climate Alliance and CARB