NATE (North American Technician Excellence) offers various certifications for technicians that allows them to excel and advance in their career. NATE’s certification program is designed to help HVACR employers hire, train and develop the most qualified technicians possible. They do this by providing a clear path to professional development and certification through easy to follow steps.
These certifications are something that technicians should highly consider taking part in for multiple reasons.
- Contractors prefer NATE-certified technicians because they remain in the industry longer, have the proven knowledge to do the job right the first time and are more productive than non-certified technicians
- Manufacturers and distributors know that NATE certification encourages proper installation and service, which means fewer warranty returns and, ultimately, a better bottom line.
- Educators and trainers benefit from NATE certification’s uniform testing standard.
- Utilities appreciate NATE certification’s focus on correctly installing and servicing sophisticated HVACR equipment, which saves energy and money when operating at peak efficiency.
- Consumers look for NATE certification because it ensures that a knowledgeable, well-trained and highly experienced technician will service their home heating or cooling system.
In addition to these factors, NATE certified technicians also earn higher than average salaries, are considered more valuable to their employers, are in higher demand, and provide customers with peace of mind.
So, how do you become NATE certified? First, you should select what program you want. NATE offers numerous certifications that are divided into installation and service and senior categories. You can find all of the certifications that NATE offers here. Once you choose which certification you would like, you can take the 50-question Core exam and 100-question Specialty exam or you now have the option to take five 30-question exams with NATE’s newest certification pathway, the Certified HVAC Professional (CHP-5). This allows you to choose which pathway is best suited towards you and your learning style.
Once you pass your tests, you will receive your official NATE certification credentials which include:
- A NATE certificate and wallet card
- A complimentary NATE patch
- A Quick Reference Guide to help you manage your NATE certification
We want to provide customers with the best technicians and NATE offers certifications that provide well-rounded, knowledgeable technicians that allow customers to have peace of mind and satisfy their needs.
“Stakeholders throughout the HVAC Industry value chain benefit from NATE technician certification,” said Briggs. “Manufacturers and distributors benefit because NATE certification encourages proper installation and service, which means fewer warranty returns and, ultimately, a better bottom line. Contractors recognize that NATE-certified technicians remain in the industry longer, have the proven knowledge to do the job right the first time, and are more productive than noncertified technicians. Educators and trainers benefit from the uniform testing standard of NATE certification.”
source: Valerie Briggs, Director of Marketing and Business Development, NATE | NATE Certification Affirms Contracting Competency | ACHRNEWS