Unlike vowing to eat better or lose weight, resolving to make your home more energy efficient is an easy commitment. You’ll not only save money, but also feel more comfortable at home throughout the year.
1) Resolve to invest in an HVAC home energy audit – A home audit will assess how much energy your home consumes and provide suggestions for making it more energy efficient. Certified contractors can help recommend areas for improvement from insulation and ductwork to heating and cooling systems and lighting. Visit our homeowner’s HVAC resources page for locating a HVAC contractor
2) Resolve to control humidity in your home – Humidity in the hot summer months can make your home feel extra warm causing you to spend more to cool it. In the winter months it can save you money by allowing you to keep your thermostat set lower. High efficiency air conditioners remove humidity during the summer, and whole-home humidifiers can help you feel warmer in the winter.
3) Resolve to install a programmable thermostat – Using a programmable thermostat in your home can save approximately $175 per year in energy bills by only heating or cooling your home when you’re there.
4) Resolve to install energy efficient light bulbs – Energy-saving light bulbs can reduce your bill by approximately 80% because they require less energy to provide the same amount of light. They also last five to six times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. Read more about saving energy from Energy Star.
5) Resolve to commit to high efficiency AC and Furnace replacements – If you’re not in a position to proactively replace inefficient equipment then commit to making it a priority to upgrade when a replacement is needed. For example, replacing your AC system with a high efficiency air conditioner can reduce energy bills by 40% over a minimum efficiency unit.
Saving energy is a worthwhile resolution at any time of the year for your home and wallet. Consult a HVAC contractor to explore options for making your home more efficient and more comfortable year-round.